Autumn harvest means savory dishes in the kitchen! A favorite is homemade pumpkin pie. If you don’t have a favorite recipe, please use ours! And if you didn’t plant your own pumpkin patch, Heidi’s GrowHaus has you covered. Stop in today to purchase a locally grown pie pumpkin to make this easy Fresh Pumpkin Pie!
Yields one 9 Inch Pie
- 1 sugar pumpkin
- 1 premade frozen pie crust
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 ½ teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 1 (12 fluid ounce) can evaporated milk
1. Cut pumpkin in half and remove seeds. Place cut side down on a cookie sheet lined with lightly oiled aluminum foil or lightly oiled parchment paper. Bake at 325 degrees F for 30 to 40 minutes, or until the flesh is tender when poked with a fork. Cool until just warm. Scrape the pumpkin flesh from the peel. Either mash, or puree in small batches in a blender. Increase oven temperature to 450 degrees F.
2. In a large bowl, slightly beat eggs. Add brown sugar, flour, salt, 2 cups of the pumpkin puree, pumpkin pie spice, and evaporated milk. Stir well after each addition. Save any additional pumpkin puree for other recipes.
3. Pour mixture into the unbaked frozen pastry shell. Place a strip of aluminum foil around the edge of the crust to prevent over browning.
4. Bake 10 minutes at 450 degrees F, then reduce the oven temperature to 350 degrees F. Bake an additional 40 to 50 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Remove the strip of foil about 20 minutes before the pie is done so that the edge of the crust will be a light golden brown. Cool pie, and refrigerate overnight for best flavor.