A delicious Charred Green Tomato Salsa Recipe is just what you need for your fresh veggies from your garden or Heidi’s GrowHaus’s Farm Stand! The Charred Green Tomato Salsa Recipe is a great addition for a chip dip, a meat-topper, tacos, and so much more! Enjoy our very own recipe by Anna.
Total Yield About 2 cups
- 1 lb green (unripe) tomatoes, sliced ¾” thick
- 1 small yellow onion, ends removed, peeled, cut in half
- 1 or 2 serrano peppers, whole
- Spray oil, or 1-2 tsp oil (avocado, canola, or vegetable oils work best)
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- ½ tsp ground coriander
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 lime, zested and juiced
- Spread sliced tomatoes, halved onions, and whole peppers on a baking sheet lined with foil. Spray the vegetables with oil, or drizzle vegetables with 1-2 tsp oil. Toss to coat.
- Turn on the broiler in your oven and set the baking sheet on a top rack a few inches from the flames or coils. Broil for 2-3 minutes or until some of the vegetables are lightly browned with some charred spots. (If your oven does not have a broiler, use the hottest temperature your oven can reach and roast for 10 minutes or until lightly browned). Carefully rotate the baking sheet in the oven and broil for another 2-3 minutes or until most of the vegetables have turned golden brown with charred spots.
- Carefully remove the baking tray from the oven and use tongs to transfer the vegetables to a cutting board. Let rest until vegetables are cool enough to handle by hand, about 10 minutes.
- Dice all the vegetables into small pieces, about ½” cubes. You can remove the seeds of the peppers before dicing if you don’t want the salsa to be too spicy. Transfer diced vegetables to a medium bowl.Add remaining ingredients and stir to blend. Cover and refrigerate at least 1 hour before serving. Use within 4 days.
This recipe is great for anytime of year but best with the freshest picks from your garden or Heidi’s GrowHaus’s Farm Stand selection. Be sure to follow our Facebook Page to see what other fresh pickings we have for each week the Farm Stand is up and running. In the meantime, enjoy your delicious Charred Green Tomato Recipe!