Fall is a great time to warm up the kitchen for this incredible Spiced Tomato Jam Recipe. With this recipe you can enjoy it as a sandwich spread, a salsa, or even a topping to your meatloaf or burgers! Find your way to Heidi’s GrowHaus‘s Farm Stand or local market for a variety of fresh tomatoes. For this recipe, Chocolate Cherry Tomatoes, Sungold Tomatoes, Red Cherry Tomatoes, Pork Chop Tomatoes, Green Zebra Tomatoes, and Costoluto Genovese Tomatoes are used.
Tomato Jam Recipe (Yields about 3 cups)
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 5 pounds tomatoes, cored and chopped (cherry tomatoes can remain whole)
- 2 whole cinnamon sticks
- 4 whole cloves
- 2 star anise pods (optional)
- 1 cup apple cider vinegar
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- pinch of salt
- Heat a large, heavy bottomed sauce pan over medium heat. Add the onions and oil and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onions become translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, cinnamon, cloves, and star anise, if using. Stir to combine.
- Simmer, stirring occasionally, until the mixture has reduced to about a third of its original volume, about 1 and a half hours.
- Reduce the heat to low. Add the vinegar and simmer, stirring often, until reduced by half, about 30 minutes. Add the sugar and salt and simmer, stirring often, until reduced by half, about 30 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and allow to cool to room temperature. Discard cinnamon sticks, cloves, and star anise. Transfer to an airtight container and store in the refrigerator for up to 10 days.
Enjoy this recipe for the Fall season. It is the perfect time to get your fresh tomato pickings from the garden and cook something up. The Spiced Tomato Jam Recipe is sure to be a hit at the dinner table.