The Fairytale Eggplant Baba Ganoush Recipe is a great recipe to make up for any cracker, pita bread, and vegetable spreads. With a consistency like hummus, you’re sure to have your new favorite appetizer dip. Get your freshly picked eggplants from Heidi’s GrowHaus‘s Farm Stand or local market for the freshest taste.
Fairytale Eggplant Baba Ganoush (yields 6 servings)
- 2 pounds Fairytale Eggplants or other small eggplants (about 12-16 total)
- 1/4 cup tahini
- 2 medium cloves of garlic, pressed or minced
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice, more if necessary
- 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for brushing the eggplant and garnish
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme, plus extra for garnish
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- Pinch of smoked paprika, for garnish
- Lemon zest, for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit with a rack in the upper third of the oven. Line a large, rimmed baking sheet with foil to prevent the eggplant from sticking to the pan. Place the eggplant on the baking sheet and brush or drizzle with about 1 tablespoon of olive oil.
- Roast the eggplant until the interior is very tender throughout and the skin is collapsing. This should take about 15-25 minutes, depending on the size of the eggplant. Set the eggplant aside to cool for about 10 minutes, or until they are cool enough to handle.
- Carefully cut the eggplants in half and scoop out the flesh with a large spoon, leaving the skin behind.
- After scooping the eggplants, place a mesh strainer over a mixing bowl. Transfer the flesh to the strainer and discard the skins. Pick out any stray bits of eggplant skin and discard. You’ll want to remove as much moisture from the eggplant here as possible. Be sure to let the eggplant rest for a few minutes and shake/stir the eggplant to release some more moisture.
- Next, you’ll want to place the eggplant into the bowl of a food processor; discard any remaining eggplant skin and drippings. Add the garlic and lemon juice to the eggplant. Pulse in the food processor until mostly blended. Add the tahini and purée for about 30 seconds, stopping to scrape the sides of the bowl as necessary. With the motor running, slowly drizzle in the olive oil. Continue puréeing until the mixture is pale and creamy, about two minutes, stopping to scrape every 30 seconds or so.
- After ingredients are well-mixed, remove the food processor bowl from the base, carefully take out the blade, and stir in the thyme, salt and cumin. Season to taste with more salt and more lemon juice, if desired.
- Next, transfer it to a serving bowl. Cover the bowl and refrigerate for one to four hours.
- After taking it out of the fridge, drizzle it with olive oil and sprinkle with thyme, smoked paprika, and lemon zest before serving.
- Serve with toasted pita, crackers, or vegetables.
Enjoy your new favorite appetizer dip! With these simple ingredients and simple instructions you’re sure to make this over and over again! The Fairytale Eggplant Baba Ganoush Recipe is great for any dinner gatherings to satisfy as a complimentary spread for your appetizers.